Here is an interesting Times article, based on research from PEW.
- Last month, Rolfe Pilati (87), killed his wife before shooting himself at their Virginia home. A son told investigators that Mr. Pilati had dementia.
- In Minnesota a man with Alzheimer’s, Kenneth Bowser , 90, fatally shot his son, telling investigators that he feared the son would kill him.
- In other recent cases, people with dementia have killed or injured friends and relatives in Oregon, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
- In the US, 40 %; of the country’s older population has a firearm in the home, according to the Pew Research Center, and about 11% of people 65 and older have Alzheimer’s.
- In 2014, more than 5,000 people 65 and older committed suicide using a firearm. The same year, at least 200 people in that age group killed someone else, according to the F.B.I.