Queens University and Providence Care-MHS
As we age, we have to take responsibility for physical changes:
- Hearing: wear your hearing aids if you have them
- Flexibility and co-ordination - shoulder checks, minimize blind spots.
- Mental functions: attentions, concentration, discriminate between focus of attention, mindful, purposeful driving.
- Dementia: Judgement of situations, juggling complex situations (i.e., 4-way stops)
- Doctors must report individuals they feel are of concern for driving
- If you are 80 or over, reassessment every two years, they provide strategies, a vision test and cognitive screening.
- Age-related changes, and other cues, tell you or your loved ones, to stay off of the road.