Monday, February 23, 2015

Pink washing; the language of cancer

As I lay dying

I" am dying, literally, at my home in Hollywood, of metastatic breast cancer, the only kind of breast cancer that kills. For six years I've known I was going to die."
FW.TO

 This is excellent , an article by Laurie Becklund who writes:
"Susan G. Komen , has raised $2.5 billion over the last 20 years,... channels only a fraction of those funds into research or systems to help those who are already seriously sick. Most of that money continues to go to a breast cancer “awareness” campaign that is now painfully out of date."
She also writes:
"Promise me, I told my friends and family, that you'll never say that I died after “fighting a courageous battle with breast cancer.” This tired, trite line dishonors the dead and the dying by suggesting that we, the victims, are responsible for our deaths or that the fight we were in was ever fair."
Laurie Becklund dies at 66; former L.A. Times reporter, author
"They call it Door of the Devil," wrote Times journalist Laurie Becklund in 1983, "a craggy spot not far from 

No comments: