Wednesday, February 11, 2015

PART XXXIII: Colonoscopy

Hubby's prostate cancer is on hold. It's not getting any worse. We are checking to see that it isn't metastasized. It will, but for now, we are leveling off with Naturopathic support.

Hubby starts the day, feeling weak and dizzy (having to fast for his test) doing this...
Backyard deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There are those whom complain about healthcare, but through Ottawa Hospital we've had nothing but  follow-up appointments made promptly. I am glad we're retired, though, because through our 'waiting times' haven't been long with specialists, the times we sit waiting have been long. Just know you'll lose a day, if you travel in from rural Ontario.

10:17 Left house

We left the house at our mutually agreed upon time: 10:25 for a 12:45 check in time, for a 1:30 procedure time.

12:15 Arrived

As with many doctor's offices, we must remove our boots and put on little blue booties. That done, we check in at the desk.

They want you there early. Why? Paperwork. You'd think, what with their electronics, that they'd have all this information on file. Nope.

We arrived at 12:15
See us in the window?
What helps us is a booklet with all the information, as well as print outs from the pharmacy, with all the meds he takes. Hubby check pertinent info into his blue folder.

Paperwork done, check back in with the receptionist, who was a nurse sitting in for a receptionist. She took my name and number, saying they would call me when the is a half hour remaining.

We sat, discussed the day: appointment 1:30, which would take 15 - 30 minutes (depending), half hour recovery (which is when they phone you) and then you can go home.

1:00 p.m. now what?

How many times do you think he's written all this down?
at least a dozen

I took off. By now (where did the time go?) it was 1:00 p.m. and I went out into the mall. There was a cute pet store nearby, do you know they make doggie training pants and doggie diapers?
doggie depends

Thankfully, the building IS in a mall, and I could walk about.

By now I was hungry, having had a sandwich for breakfast, as I knew that things could take a long time.

Into Kelsey's for lunch. The server found me a quiet spot, where I could access their Wifi, and play about. Bless her heart, she gave me a booth.


trying to be patient!
Thing is, in order to access the free Wifi, I had to sign up using my email address. When I arrived home, they sent me a coupon, as promised, for a fattening dessert. "Welcome to Kelsey's eKlub."
Some clever marketing expert figured it would be fun to misspell 'club.' Shudder.
I don't eat desserts. Sigh. Not at my age and weight! The trials of "free." Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, our Ottawa Social Media king on good eating, would be horrified.

I finished up my yummy Thai Shrimp with noodles, who knows when dinner would be, and walked back over to the office.

2:10 back to waiting

Cleverly, I'd saved my booties, as they were all gone from the box. The floor was a mess. I looked around, and found one entitled woman, in an tailored tweed coat, elaborate coiffeur, expensive handbag. She was wearing her boots, while the rest of us either donned our lovely booties, or sat with sock feet.
Lovely waiting room with Wifi!

I put on my saved booties.
Some people chose to keep their boots on.
Fake fireplace, also plays music.

2:19 The CALL

They said hubby was ready to be picked up in a half hour. They phoned me, I should have just checked in at the desk.

I sat, read my book, "Elephants Cry".

2:43 approach the desk

I am here to pick up my husband. He's out, just getting dressed, and will be ready to leave soon.
Putting on my boots, on the bench behind the fake fireplace, I sat, waited. Used the bathroom. Waited some more.

3:00 Where is he?

By now, I was getting worried. Their electronic system lets the nurses in the back know that his ride is here. She told me that he was getting dressed and just had to see the doctor before leaving.

3:11 he appears

He doesn't have colon cancer. This is a good thing. Thanks to all who have been asking. It is comforting. Sometimes it is awfully lonely being a caregiver. We have another two months until further testing.

I help him with his coat, hand him his boots. Off we went, jiggety jig. They'd given him juice and cookies, since he'd eaten nothing for 24 hours. Apparently he could now eat whatever he wanted. That is to say, excluding his food intolerances of yeast, dairy and eggs.

We hopped in the car, happy it was sitting in the warm sunshine. We always hit rush hour traffic, and I was anxious to get going. As hubby said, it's logistics that make these appointments a pain-in-the-arse. Hubby had a coffee headache, so we found a wee spot, in a hairdressing salon, that had coffee in North Gower! Who knew?

4:52 home again

little dweeb!
When we left the house the Trailcam said it was -9 C. Arriving home, after a day of sunshine,  it was 11 C. (on the plus side). This is only because our house faces south, and the overhang keeps in the heat. The bird feeder was just about emptied, those dratted red squirrels!

Princess Daisy went outside to play. Lady Annabelle mushed us both, happy we were home.
Hubby, still making jokes, his coffee headache gone. What a relief!

Home again from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
We left at 10:17, arrived home at 4:52, after a trip to the city for a medical procedure.

No comments: