How do ticks transmit Lyme disease?
Ticks are most likely to transmit infection after being attached for more than 24 hours of feeding because the bacteria requires time to migrate from the tick’s gut to its salivary glands. Because of this delay, prompt detection and removal of ticks is one of the key methods of preventing Lyme disease.
Lyme Disease Fact Sheet
- What is Lyme disease?
- How do people get Lyme disease?
- What are ticks?
- What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?
- How is Lyme disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for Lyme disease?
- What precautions should you take to avoid Lyme disease?
- How prevalent is human Lyme disease in Canada?
- What is the Government of Canada doing to address Lyme disease?