Monday, April 16, 2012

Home care complaints

I receive home care services from a Community Care Access Centre. The person who provides services to me has done something I want to complain about. What can happen to me if I complain?

Obviously, one can only improve the system by making a complaint. Include the date, time, the name of the person providing service. Write down the problem, and exactly what happened.

Many refrain from making a complaint, yet it means that nothing will improve.
Unfortunately, we are so short home care workers, that it may be difficult to get the person you may like in your home. That doesn't mean you cannot try to register a complaint.
Phone the agency who sends the worker.
If it involves a nurse, you can talk to people at the College of Nurses.

Too often, a PSW can go from agency to agency, without getting the help s/he needs to improve. This is why we need regulation for PSWs.
If is is the case of abuse, or theft, phone the police.

Home care complaints and appeals

This booklet is for people who apply for or get home care services through a Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) in Ontario. It explains how to make a complaint about services, and how to appeal if the complaint does not result in a satisfactory decision.
Produced by CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) in collaboration with Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) and ARCH Disability Law Centre.

No comments: