Monday, March 12, 2012

What about respite?

And, you hire your first sitter, your loved one is to stay home while you go shopping.

It is a break you need. The nights have been difficult.

All day she asks, "What time is it? What are we going to do? I'm confused."

You sit with her. Daddy enters the room. "I'm going shopping in town."
"When will you be back?"
"In forty-five minutes."
She eyes the clock. Time passes slowly. You've been talking about what Daddy does. She is confused about what it all involves, although she knows there are horses. I ask her, "Where did you grow up?"
"In a town nearby. You know. You just said it."
"Oh, Smiths Falls."
"Yes. Do you know it?"
"I do, but I grew up in Toronto."
"My father took me there. He set up, and I was told not to talk to people. He did all the talking. He had horses."

The sad thing is this babysitter is sitting with a dementia patient.
But this is reality for many of us.

No comments: