Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Radio show - White Coat, Black Art

I'm going to be on CBC's White Coat, Black Art on November 19th – talking about caregiving. You might find some useful info! Br. Brian Goldman, medical journalist for CBC, visited and recorded us in our home and on a Meals on Wheels delivery. My husband delivers and dispatches Meals on Wheels in our community. I do hospice work, as a respite worker. I am a strong advocate.

I truly believe the system isn't broken.
I believe that if we work together, as an integrated team, that all of us will find we are better served by the system. Unfortunately, there are broken links in the chain.
An integrated family health team can achieve miracles.
A nurse practitioner, as does a midwife, help provide intermediate services when we are not high-risk. The physicians, as much as the OB/GYNs or yore were against this. The creation of the new Physician Assistant, working under the doctor, with a different education, and more pay than a nurse, is an interesting new development.

There are cogs in the wheel. There are poor team members. They are the individuals without integrity, who do not do a good job, even when no one is listening. They deny women in PEI abortions, they deny veterans adequate pain medications in palliative situations.

There are also role models in the healthcare system who do much for us all. My physician is not one of them. He phoned me on a Sunday night, while at a conference, to see how I was doing after a tearful, painful visit during the week. He was concerned.
Often, in my caregiving practice, I hear of 'problem' patients, or 'demanding' patients. I think of my first month of school every year. I would ensure that I phoned every family at least once. It was a small thing, but if someone needs attention, why not give it to them?
I think of my dear friend in long-term care, labeled a needy resident in a phone call by the administrator of the residence. They would do well to phone or pop in at least daily to give her a bit of TLC.

Respect: by the patient for the physician, by the physician for the patient, but as important that all members of the care team respect their colleagues. Respect by the physician for the nurse, the personal support worker, and anyone with whom we all work.

That is my two cents, working with more than my share of hospice clients, volunteering in three regions in long-term care, and researching Ontario healthcare on an ongoing basis.

Chris wrote up a delightful piece about our great visitor, highlighting my book in the process! Bless them both!
Photo Chris Must

Author's research aimed at caregivers

Chris Must, Perth EMC
Medical broadcaster Dr. Brian Goldman interviews Perth resident and author Jennifer Jilks July 7 for a CBC radio show (WCBA: "White Coats, Black Art") on the plight of unpaid caregivers, to be aired November 19th
Posted Jul 14, 2011 By Chris Must
EMC News - "It is possible to live and die with dignity, but it isn't always certain," writes Jennifer Jilks in the introduction to her book, Living and Dying with Dignity. Jilks, who recently moved to Perth after living in Toronto, Ottawa, and Muskoka...

1 comment:

Christine said...

I've made a note to watch this Nov 19th, what time does it air?