Friday, October 7, 2011

Celebration of life: Michele, Ma Belle!


My friend requested that I create a movie for her funeral from photos she had taken. She has not yet passed over, and wanted to talk about her life. This is an important part of end-of-life care.

We talked about her life, and did a life review, which is an important part of palliative care.

Michele is in LTC. I felt badly moving far away from her where she lives in LTC in Muskoka. I would visit her during dinner, as she was unable to get up to get into the dining room every day.

I wrote about her in my book, and she is proud as punch.

She was a nurse in B.C., in the days when nurses wore uniforms and caps! For the PPT slides click here.
"I was determined to be a nurse. My parents wanted me to be a teacher. I went for an interview to supplicate them. I recall the expression on the nun’s face when she found out both my parents did not go to university. That ticked me off and I left the room. That was the end of the interview. Going into teaching was the furthest thing from my mind.
I was accepted by Windsor and I graduated from the diploma nursing in 1962. From Hotel Dieu hospital, in Windsor, Ontario. "


No comments: