Monday, September 12, 2011

Complaints about retirement homes

I phoned them. Since the family was aware of the extreme needs of my palliative client, they felt there was no neglect. This home has a bad reputation in the community. I did the best I could. I brought in Ensure for a man who wasn't eating but complained about being hungry.

Unfortunately, their position is that if PSWs are 'trained' to deliver care, including meds, it is perfectly OK for a woman to clean a toilet and then go and determine if a man needs a ventolin capsule and mask.

The Ontario Retirement Communities Association (ORCA) operates a toll-free Retirement Home Complaints Response and Information Service that provides seniors and their families the information they need to make informed choices and help resolve problems quickly and effectively.

This Service helps consumers address questions or concerns about any retirement residence in Ontario, including those that are not ORCA members*. This free service is funded by the Province of Ontario.

Call 1·800·361·7254 to reach an experienced Information Officer.
Important Notice
Reporting requirements under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (the “Act”) came into force on May 17, 2011. Under the Act, there is an obligation to make a report to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (the “RHRA”) if you suspect any harm or risk of harm to a resident resulting from improper care, abuse or neglect, or unlawful conduct. There is also an obligation to report suspicions of misuse or misappropriation of a resident’s money. Residents may make a report, but the Act does not require them to.
To make a report, call the CRIS line at 1-800-361-7254

No comments: