Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New inspection process in LTC


www.oltca.com
A key feature of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s Long-Term Care Home Quality Inspection Program, which is being phased in during 2010 and 2011, will include in-depth interviews with residents, family members and staff.



I like this idea (new inspection strategies). Problem is, many of my dementia clients claim they are used and abused. I believe that front-line staff, if protected, can do much to create change but doing more reporting. I'm not sure some clients could answer 130 Q, tho'!
Wii, weeee! She had a grand time. I like this woman.

That said, perception is important. If a care recipient only thinks s/he is being abused... what can staff do to change that?
I remember my dad in LTC leaning over to whisper to my daughter, "Your mother is keeping me here!"
Another of his hall mates would yell, "Help me!" over and over, all day. Her confusion was terrible. She knew she was panicky, but could not understand the cause. Others take out their anger with their condition on loved ones or paid and unpaid caregivers.

Keen Like Mustard play for the seniors.
My latest client was angry that I was laughing at her. I was laughing as I'd misunderstood her, she has issues with nouns, and was laughing at myself. Hard people to work with. I believe that the key is in individuals reporting individual situations to the Ministry of Health and LTC. That, and reporting individual physicians, nurses, to their respective colleges. Document, keep notes, speak to the Ministry. Sometimes, it is the family member's grief that confounds the issue.

In the good homes there is much joy and laughter. Staff check to see that care recipients are as happy as possible. Unfortunately, any of us with a debilitating health issue have to fight depression, anger at our circumstances, and to keep a positive attitude.



Who can report a concern or complaint?

Anyone who is concerned about any resident’s situation can report a concern or complaint, including:
  • a resident
  • a family member
  • someone employed by the home
  • anyone providing services to the resident
  • any member of the public.

No comments: