Friday, January 7, 2011

Winter flu season is here

Flu outbreak at London, Ont., long-term care facility, health unit ...

23 Sep 2010 ... Flu outbreak at London, Ont.


In my own case, I've been fighting Whooping Cough for a couple of weeks, but I didn't know it. A seal-bark cough, they call it. Coughing to the point of throwing up. Sinusitis, bronchitis, lots of colourful mucous. The older we get, the harder it seems to fight these things. I exercise regularly, eat balanced meals, wash my hands constantly, I breathe through my nose in crowds. I take multivitamins for women over age 50, including magnesium and calcium. I walk outdoors, chop wood, and yet I have fallen to this horrible cough.

I phoned my doctor's office, closed for two weeks of Christmas holiday.
The beauty of it is, on Monday, December 20, I went into the emergency room of our local hospital. There weren't many people, it being the first day of winter vacation for schools, perhaps 6 patients, accompanied by friends/spouses. A relatively calm Emergency Room, I was seen within the hour. I was home with the appropriate antibiotics in an hour and a half. Within 48 hours, finally my symptoms have lessened.

Hooray for the Ontario healthcare system.

No comments: