Friday, November 26, 2010

Gentle Persuasive Approaches in Dementia Care

Two PSWs assisting my father, 2006

I recently attend a wonderful workshop: Gentle Persuasive Approaches in Dementia Care; Responding to persons with Challenging Behaviours

Both care staff and volunteers, especially patient advocates, understand the need for such courses.

I posed the question, Why do people volunteer?


This is what I want my future caregivers to know. For the Course Objectives, I learned a great deal.


The impact of dementia on the brain is huge, and grossly misunderstood and/or ignored. 

The discussion centred on the A’s of dementia:
  • anosagnosia
  • amnesia
  • aphasia
  • agnosia
  • apraxia
  • altered perception
  • attentional deficits
  • apathy.


and the relationship of each to responsive behaviours in dementia, and care implications.



This is a course ALL Primary Health Care teams should have under their belts.
GPA Coach, 
Deborah Steele (right) RN BScN CPMHN(C) GNC(C)
Psychogeriatric Resource Consultant for Lanark, Leeds and Grenville. 


Fabulous woman. Assisted by Liane, left. 

As I sat in a hospital room, I heard a doctor say, "She just won't die!" about one woman. I was shocked. Talk about insensitive...These nurses prove how much we know on the front lines.

No comments: