Miranda Ferrier, of the volunteer group PSW Canada.ca, says she's had to "break the news" to PSWs that "they can no longer work (because) their certification is nothing. There's no regulation." she says. "None." PSWs have no professional body, no counterpart to the College of Nurses. New trainees are not required to sit for provincial exams. The courses are not standardized, and can be taken at either community colleges or private schools. All this, Ferrier insists, leaves not only seniors, but also their caregivers, unprotected.
"The baby boomers are coming,"says Ferrier. "We 'need' to be prepared. And we're not close. " She started PSW Canada as a hopeful precursor to an official college. But the Health Professions Regulatory Advisory Council rejected that idea in 2006, deciding Ontario should not be regulated. "HPRAC also concludes that the closest alternate form of regulation - a personal support worker registry - should not be implemented," the report noted.
Other PSW information
- PSW Jobs Pay School Supplies | Ontario Canada
- PSW Personal Support Worker
- PSW School | Courses - PSW Schools and Courses in Ontario
- PSW Jobs Tips - Tip #3 Always Send Resumes in .Doc or .PDF Format
- PSW Jobs Tips - Tip #2 PSW Scope of Practice
- PSW Job Tips - Part 1 - First-Aid and CPR
- Canadian Job Portals