Sunday, August 16, 2009

dementia and break aways!

I heard another story about a retirement home. Visit Latane for her story.

I'm UPSET big time

Basically, her hubby (with dementia) escaped with another resident. What a time she had.

I know that my dad at his Manor, a retirement home,refused to go outdoors. At that point the dementia didn't affect his navigation skills. He was able to use his walker and his security button allowed him to walk around the building.

Then, about 3 weeks after trying to beg him to go out into the sweet outdoors he loved, he went out by himself. He fell, trying to go around a car improperly parked. In a minute, there were 4 people helping him.

I would rather that he had gone out and had a walk for the last time in his life, than to know he was safe in his room, staring out at the pigeon on the roof of the church.

People with dementia are clever. They manage to fool many people much of the time. This is why dementia is so undiagnosed.

The technology is fairly simple, but also fallible.

I hope you have a serious debriefing with staff to determine what went wrong.

Aren't you glad you realized how important it was to place him in a facility? I remember a woman lost her mom at the Cranberry Festival here. We had 25,000 people through town. Her dad slipped away and walked 7 km to the next town. She and the OPP found him a couple of hours later.

Don't you think it amusing that he and this woman broke free?! Makes me think of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"!

Deep breath and many hugs!

1 comment:

W. Latane Barton said...

Yes, we caregivers need to stick together. It's a tough job. Now that it is over I do think that Elbert & Louise were like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' or maybe like Thelma and Louise... no telling what those two would have gotten into had I not come along. I appreciate you so much, your caring, your friendship. Thank you so much.