Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hospices


I just attended a seminar by Sandra Winspear of Hospice Muskoka. At the time my parents were ill, I had no idea they existed. I have tried to fix that by writing about my experiences.

I donated a copy to her group, since it might be of some benefit to others.

I had a false impression of Hospice Organisations. They provide help and assistance in many facets of death and dying.

I am a firm believer that the more you learn, the better off you will be. To that end, Hospices provide information such as

Palliative Care Programs & Grief and Bereavement Programs , for those facing end-of-life concerns.

What really bothers me is that despite both my parents being declared palliative, none of their Primary Health Care people told me about this group. I sat alone in my father's LTC room as he slowly faded away. The staff came around when they could, but it was a lonely time, without family nearby. My mother was in denial, but my father clearly had a designation of being palliative and I had the right to support from this non-profit group.

No comments: